Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Value of Social Media – In Business, In Life…

It’s a funny thing, when I first started hearing about web 2.0 it seem like a foreign language, and now that I have stuck my toe into the river – I absolutely love it.

I have (finally!) figured out what social media sites work best for my business and I am still discovering great new ways to connect online.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am still learning and am yet to add some social bookmarking sites to my “tool box” when you are working with the internet you will be learning forever – nobody knows everything “Guaranteed”!

I have found that there is so much value in the connections you make with these networks, when you do it the “right way”.

I like to think of social media sites as “networking on steroids”.

If any of you have been in business for very long you know the value of networking – it is the life blood of any business. Building relationships is what business is all about – the give and take of information. Connecting with people who could use what you have to give, as well as making suggestions to others about businesses that could help them grow.

Social media is no different – when you are genuinely interested in following people, becoming part of their inner circle and networking. It is important that you nurture these relationships by personally reaching out and interacting with them as people. You also need to go out in the “neighborhood” and find people who you would enjoy networking with, giving value to and learning from.

You need to be a giver – but if you are a taker heed my warning….

Those that are the “takers” or the snake oil salesmen will surely be disappointed in what social media has to offer. Those individuals that are only out for the sell – and don’t want to connect as a giver are not going to have any satisfying, lasting connections to those of us who value quality above quantity and integrity above dishonesty.

I am a very good judge of character and I believe if you have been in business any length of time – you can tell the takers and the givers.

Those that are only out for themselves – and could care less about anything or anyone else.

The one thing I want you to take away from this article? Always remember, it is not always about you.

Learn to ask, “What is in it for them”.

If you do these things – when connecting on Facebook, Twitter, FriendFeed or any other social marketing site you will find a very rich, rewarding experience , in business and in every other personal connections you may make. Would you like to work out an online marketing plan? Contact me!

Pamela Jacob – Artista Design

Providing Creative Solutions & Valuable Results

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building a community of business people who are interested in taking there business to the next level. The world is you oyster now find out how to access it!