Thursday, December 10, 2009

They say it is FREE – Really?

I don't know how many of you feel the way I do but when I hear the word FREE I expect it to be free…

I cannot tell you how many times I will get an email – the subject line catches my interest, so I read further, I see that they have a FREE offer.

It looks great, and is something I am interested in. I click on the link and fill out the form only to find that it isn’t free at all, “you may use these tools for a limited time only or must pay shipping and handling” and by the way, shipping and handling is usually much more than it would cost to send.

There is nothing wrong with limited time offers or getting something for just the shipping and handling but put it up in front, be honest!! I will more than likely still be interested in what you have to offer – I don't need to be tricked into signing on the dotted line!!

If you are a company that has been using this tactic, think again. As a possible client I have to tell you it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I am sure I am not alone. When this happens, I feel that I have been led down the wrong path, and I cannot trust the business that has sent me the offer.

Upon reading a piece of email like this, I will immediately put the company name and email on my spam list, to be banished forever (a little dramatic but true.)

I have an extremely busy schedule (as do all of you), and I do not have time to read email and take action, unless I am truly interested.

Remember: Perception is everything and you do not want to leave the wrong perception. If you are currently planning a marketing campaign, please heed my warning; be upfront and honest – no gimmicks please!

When you have gone through the time and trouble to put together a marketing campaign – be up front with what you are actually offering. Ethics and honesty are one of the most important things that a business must hold true to, or they will not build a lasting clientèle base.

Without it your business will not flourish and grow, it will eventually wither and die…

Pamela Jacob - Artista Design Providing Creative Solutions and Valuable Results TM

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 150%!! To use a 'come on' like 'free' and then to hit us with the charge on the sign in line is actually an admission by the sender that their 'free' product will not stand as value on its own...its marketing requires deception at the outset. I am amazed how many 'gurus' out there not only practice it..but teach it as a business tactic as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better myself...

    Thanks

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

Building a community of business people who are interested in taking there business to the next level. The world is you oyster now find out how to access it!